Martina Ortner is a partner in the firm’s Munich office. She advises German and international clients of mainly traditional industries on:
- the formation of joint ventures including suitable corporate governance and deadlock resolution mechanisms
- (cross-border) corporate restructurings, in particular in connection with the formation of holding models (inter alia through carve-outs, mergers, de-mergers, and legal conversions);
- mergers and acquisitions (“M&A”) transactions, in particular with respect to business-to-business manufacturing and new technology sectors; and
- general corporate matters, in particular related to publicly listed companies, such as the holding of general meetings (Hauptversammlungsrecht) and compliance with capital market regulations.
Martina also provides regular advice to various private equity funds, both with respect to their M&A activities and on their portfolio management.
Supplementing the above expertise, Martina has a specific focus on German-Italian transactions. She is head of the “German practice” in the firm’s Milan office.
Clients praised her as “circumspect and dedicated” in JUVE German Commercial Law Firms 2018.
Martina joined the firm (together with Munich corporate partner Dr. Franz Schaefer and team) in December 2016 after having practiced at two leading international law firms in their Munich offices.
She studied at the Ludwig-Maximilian University in Munich and at the Università degli Studi di Bologna. In 2006, she received a doctorate degree from the University of Munich and passed her second state law examination in 2007. From 2010 until 2011 she worked for an international law firm in Milan, Italy.
- Martina Ortner regularly holds guest lectures at various universities in Germany on corporate related matters.
Martina has published numerous articles in periodicals with a focus on corporate and capital markets, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Imputed knowledge and conduct in M&A transactions, DStR 31, 2017, p. 1710 f., together with Dr. Franz Schaefer (German article)
- A Tendency Regarding the Confirmation of Resolutions of Annual General Meetings, Börsenzeitung, May 3, 2014, together with Dr. Franz Schaefer (German article)
- The Termination and Establishment of Fiscal Unities in the Course of Corporate Acquisitions, DStR 2013, 2399, together with Dr. Franz Schaefer and Martin Mager (German article)
- Practical Issues of Squeeze-outs, DStR 2011, p. 1668 f., together with Dr. Marcus Klie and Dr. Christoph Rödter (German article)
- Practical Issues of Cross-Border Mergers, Der Konzern 2010, p. 541 f, in combination with Dr. Wolfgang Krauel and Dr. Christian Mense (German article)
- Relations with Majority Shareholders as Conflict of Interests Affecting Independence of Supervisory Board Members?, NZG 2010, 1413, together with Dr. Marcus Klie (German article)
- The Independent Financial Expert According to BilMoG (German Accounting Law Modernization Act) – Legal Consequences in Case of Divergence from § 100 Abs. 5 AktG Regarding Staffing of Supervisory Board Members, DStR 2010, 1339, together with Dr. Marcus Klie (German article)
- Supplier and Manufacturer Recourse in the Context of German-Italian Legal Dealings, Herbert Utz Publishers, Munich 2006 (Dissertation, Munich University)