Bob Zinn is a board-level strategic corporate legal advisor. He provides transactional and interdisciplinary advice on important business challenges and opportunities. Bob's experience includes M&A, financial restructuring (typically out of court), corporate finance (including strategic and venture capital investments, debt financings and public offerings), as well as corporate governance and commercial matters.
Bob’s practice is global and includes private as well as public middle market and large companies, start-ups and other emerging growth companies. He also represents restructuring advisors, investment banks and private equity and other investors in transactions and financial restructurings. Industries served include manufacturing and industrials, technology, metals and mining, financial services (including fintech), healthcare, and events.
Bob has served as lead counsel on hundreds of domestic and cross-border transactions, from very small deals to those valued up to approximately $5 billion. Publicly announced transactions in 2019 in which he was lead counsel include a € 2.25 billion restructuring of a global metals company, a carve-out divestiture of an advanced manufacturing company with operations on four continents, and a $145 million cross-border sale of a leading events industry company.
Bob has particular experience with large family owned enterprises. Working with multiple stakeholders and other advisors, he regularly assists with the design and implementation of needed transitions and navigating challenging business and industry conditions.
Bob has represented numerous operating companies and investors, including private equity and hedge funds, in acquisitions and dispositions of distressed companies, including 363 sales. He has substantial experience in debt and equity restructuring, modification of executive compensation and employment arrangements, disclosure issues, tax planning, fraudulent conveyance, look-through and successor liability analysis and planning, including with respect to environmental, toxic tort and pension funding liabilities, director and officer liability issues, insurance coverage litigation (solely on behalf of companies), related party transactions, and fairness, solvency, and valuation opinions.
Bob had been consistently recognized for the past two decades as a leading corporate lawyer by peer publications, including:
- Legal 500: “Hall of Fame” for M&A: Middle-Market ($500-$999mm), one of 11 lawyers in the United States recognized in 2020. Named as a “Leading Lawyer” in this category for 12 years prior.
- Chambers and Partners: “Notable practitioner” for Corporate/M&A & Private Equity. In its most recent edition, Mr. Zinn is described as “extremely knowledgeable, responsive and pragmatic” and “noted for his work across a range of matters including financings, acquisitions and restructurings.”
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2013 - 2021
- Mergers & Acquisitions magazine’s selection of K&L Gates as “Law Firm of the Year,” recognized the firm and Mr. Zinn for a leading global, middle market M&A practice.
- Global M&A Network’s Top 50 North American M&A Lawyers, part of the Top 50 Americas Dealmakers List.
Bob is co-leader of the firm’s corporate practice (since 2007), a former member of the firm’s management committee (2007-2019), and co-leader of the firm’s manufacturing/industrials and fintech industry groups. Bob is a frequent speaker and author on such topics as mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital, and financial restructurings.
- “Fintech Guide Overview,” Chambers & Partners, 2019
- FinTech in Canada, Digital Finance Institute; McCarthy Tétrault LLP, 2016
- 8 (Not So Innocent) Questions to Ask Your D&O Insurance Advisors, NYSE’s Governance Insights Newsletter, 6 June 2016
- M&A Guru on What's Driving Deals, Paybefore, Spring 2015