Aiko Yamada is a counsel in the firm's Tokyo office. She is a member of the firm's corporate mergers and acquisitions, data protection, privacy and security, emerging growth and venture capital, health care and FDA, and technology transactions and sourcing practice groups.
Aiko has over two decades experience in the legal profession. She has represented a broad range of clients with a focus on global pharmaceutical companies, global medical device companies, Japanese and U.S. biotechnology companies, but also including global mobile telecommunications and IT companies and Japanese trading companies.
Aiko was admitted to practice law in Japan in 2000 and in the state of New York, U.S.A. in 2007 and joined the firm in 2020.
Prior to joining the firm, she served as a counsel at a multinational law firm for 20 years, where she gained experience in structuring, negotiating, and implementing various business and finance transactions. She focused her work on mergers and acquisitions and investment transactions, including both domestic and cross-border deals, compliance and corporate governance, and general corporate counseling. She also focused her work on policy and regulatory enforcement in the pharmaceuticals, biologics and medical devices industry and the technology and telecom industry, including regulatory and compliance advice on digital health, Medtech, AI, blockchain, cybersecurity and privacy, Fintech, data analytics, and software and app development.
- Recognized Practitioner (Life Sciences - Japan) at Chambers Asia-Pacific Awards 2019
- Noted Practitioner (Life Sciences - Japan) at Chambers Asia-Pacific Awards 2018
- Research Committee on the Judicial System, Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association
- Legal and regulatory issues in the life sciences and healthcare industry (Financial Management Forums, Inc., December 2016)
- Legal and business issues on medical big data and gene and cell remedies (Financial Management Forums, Inc., May 2017)
- Co-author, "A quick regulatory guide to telehealth services in Japan, Healthcare IT News, 9 June 2022
- Co-author, Cross-border M&A Practice (Chuokeizai-sha, Inc., July 2008)