Erinn Rigney is an associate in the Chicago office, focusing her practice on Labor, Employment, and Workplace Safety.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Erinn was an associate in the employment and labor practice group in the Chicago office of another global law firm and taught high school government in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Her counseling experience includes advising clients on compliance with federal, state, and local antidiscrimination laws in conjunction with various employment actions; the provision of reasonable accommodations; compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act and state wage and hours laws; and implementation of workplace policies and employee handbooks for both unionized and nonunionized employers, in addition to developing and leading anti-harassment training sessions for clients' workforces. As part of her practice, Erinn has experience in drafting pleadings, motions, and legal memoranda for federal lawsuits involving claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Equal Pay Act, the Rehabilitation Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act; representing clients in federal court and at mediations before local and federal anti-discrimination boards, and organizing various aspects of the discovery process for both large scale class actions and single-plaintiff lawsuits. In addition to her counseling and litigation experience, Erinn regularly works with the firm’s corporate group to conduct employment and labor due diligence, analyze collective bargaining and other labor agreements, and advise clients on integration issues in conjunction with corporate mergers and acquisitions.
Erinn has significant experience addressing the various employment issues that arise in the health care space, including the interpretation and application of employment laws in conjunction with health care regulations; drafting master services agreements for large and small health care systems; implementing policies on the protection of proprietary information and trade secrets; and advising on employment compliance issues arising in mergers and acquisitions for hospitals and biotechnology companies. Over the past year, Erinn has devoted a substantial part of her practice to advising both unionized and nonunionized clients across industries on compliance with federal, state, and local health and safety guidelines to address the impact of COVID-19 in the workplace.
Erinn has been named an Illinois “Rising Star” for Employment & Labor Law by SuperLawyers magazine since 2019.
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2019-2021
- Member, Chicago Bar Foundation, Young Professionals Board (2018-Present)
- Notre Dame Law School Mentorship Program (2015-2019)
- Notre Dame Attorney Networking Committee of Chicago (2014-2016)
- Girls on the Run Michiana, Co-Chair of Fundraising Committee (2010) South Bend, Indiana Grant Writer (2011)
- New City YMCA, Volunteer T-Ball Coach (Summer 2005)
- National Business Institute, “Employment Law: 2016 Comprehensive Guide” presented in Raleigh, North Carolina, 19 October 2016
- National Business Institute, “Buying and Selling a Business” Start-to-Finish” presented in Raleigh, North Carolina, 12 December 2016
- Presenter, “Ready for 2017? Changing Employment Regulations in a New Political Landscape”, K&L Gates “Under the Wire” CLE Seminar, February 2017
- “General Counsel University - Like This: How to Assess & Manage Your Social Media Risk” presented at K&L Gates Chicago, 25 October 2017
- “General Counsel University - Trade Secret Protection, Enforcement, and Risk Management in a Cyberworld” presented at K&L Gates Chicago, 4 April 2018
- “Practice Basics: Handling Claims of Sexual Harassment” presented at the Chicago Bar Association, 1 June 2018
- “General Counsel University - Sexual Harassment and Social Media in the Workplace,” presented at K&L Gates Pittsburgh, 22 May 2018
- “Biometrics: Cultural, Social, and Legal Considerations,” Suffolk University School of Law Journal of High Technology Law Symposium 2021, 3 February 2021
- Presenter, “COVID-19 Legal Update,” K&L Gates “Under the Wire” CLE Seminar, February 2021
- "Pandemic Pandemonium: Navigating Employment Considerations in the Face of COVID-19," Benefits Law Journal, Summer 2020
- “New Jersey Eyes Regulation of Biometric Data,” New Jersey Law Journal, 27 June 2019
- “Disciplining Employees for Social Media Use,” Wolters Kluwer, December 2018
- “It Takes Two: Outsourcing & Joint Employer Status,” co-author, Practising Law Institute, 2014
- “Doctor’s Orders: A New Prescription for ADHD Medication Abuse,” Notre Dame Law Review, 2012