Owen Chio is a partner / senior legal consultant in the firm's Taipei office. Owen has over 20 years of experience advising on (i) cross-border M&As and investments in energy, high tech, biotech and other sectors, (ii) major energy projects particularly in wind, solar, thermal power and natural gas areas, (iii) corporate compliance issues such as data privacy, trade sanctions, and anti-corruption, and (iv) cross-border commercial disputes. Owen has been involved in some of the most significant deals for major MNCs and state-owned enterprises and acts for corporate clients on a long term basis in their investments, M&As and post-acquisition/investment corporate and commercial matters. Owen is recognized by International Financial Law Review (IFLR) as a “Leading Lawyer - Highly Regarded."
Prior to joining the firm, Owen was a partner / executive consultant and the global co-head of the compliance practice of a Taiwan law firm with strategic alliance with one of the Big 4 firms. Before then, he worked at the Taipei office of a multinational law firm for 15 years, including as a partner / senior consustant, co-chair of corporate compliance practice, deputy chair of foreign investment approval, and CSR partner of the firm. Owen worked in the Hong Kong office of a UK Magic Circle firm before returning to Taiwan.
- Speech on “Global Trend on Directors’ Duties” to Continental Engineering Co., Ltd. and Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation, 22 November 2022
- Lecture on “Cross-Border M&As and JVs” to CPC Corporation, Taiwan on 26 November 2021 and to business school students of DanJiang University, 8 June 2018
- Speech on “VC Investments in Startups” to members of the TaiFu Startup Association, 31 May 2018
- Speech on “GDPR” to members of Taiwan CIO Association, 28 June 2018
- DUB, The Honorable Society of Lincoln’s Inn, 1997
- Advanced Certificate in International Arbitration, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2018
- Co-writer of “Laws and Regulations Shaping Offshore Wind Development in Taiwan” published on Euroview, 8 November 2021
- Chief writer of "Doing Business in Taiwan" published by CCH, 2012 and 2013.