Pablo Man is a partner in the firm's asset management and investment funds practice. He represents investment advisers, closed-end funds (including exchange-traded closed-end funds, registered funds of hedge funds and other tender offer funds, as well as interval funds), alternative mutual funds, and private funds (including hedge funds and funds of one).
Pablo focuses his practice on regulatory matters relating to the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 in the context of investment adviser registration (including “status” questions), regulation and reporting, SEC examinations, and adviser mergers and acquisitions. He also has substantial experience with the formation of pooled investment vehicles both registered and exempt from registration under the Investment Company Act of 1940.
Among other things, Pablo routinely advises investment advisers on regulatory and compliance matters relating to custody, recordkeeping (including electronic records), trading, principal and cross-transactions, best execution, performance advertising, fiduciary duty and conflicts. He also has a significant practice counseling clients with respect to “wrap” and model portfolio programs. In addition, Pablo has substantial experience with respect to the application of the Securities Act of 1933 to private investment funds as well as continuously-offered registered closed-end funds offering their interests in private placements, including both with respect to offerings with and without a general solicitation.
With respect to registered funds, Pablo acts as fund counsel and his experience includes all aspects of a fund’s launch and ongoing operations, including but not limited to matters related to the implementation of a Rule 38a-1 compliance program; the preparation of agendas, resolutions and related materials in connection with board and committee meetings; and the communications with the SEC staff in connection with fund matters. Pablo also has advised clients with respect to exemptive relief, including co-investment and multi-class relief.
During law school, Pablo interned for the Honorable Robert B. Collings of the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts. He was also the Editor-in-Chief of the Suffolk University Law Review. Pablo was a summer associate at K&L Gates in 2008.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Pablo served as a law clerk to the Honorable Scott L. Kafker of the Massachusetts Appeals Court. He also interned as a law clerk to the Honorable Judith Fabricant of the Business Litigation Session of the Massachusetts Superior Court.
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Hedge & Mutual Funds in Massachusetts (2023)
- In 2018, Pablo was awarded “Rising Star” at the 25th Mutual Funds Industry Awards sponsored by Fund Industry Intelligence and Fund Director Intelligence. The “Rising Stars” were selected based on their accomplishments and contributions to the mutual fund industry in the areas of client service and product innovation that makes them stand out among their peers and position them as future leaders.
- Panelist, “Introduction to the Advisers Act,” NRS webinar, 4 August 2020
- "Impact of the New Marketing Rule: What Constitutes an 'Advertisement' and How to Adhere to Principles‑Based Standards," Private Equity Law Report, 23 March 2021
- “How the Proposed Amendments to the SEC Advertising Rule Would Affect PE Managers,” Private Equity Law Report, 14 January 2020
- "Interval Funds have Turned 25 and are Increasingly Popular," The Review of Securities & Commodities Regulation, 20 February 2019
- “Getting the Deal Through: Fund Management 2018 – United States,” Law Business Research Ltd., August 2018