Simon Casinader is a senior associate in the firm's London office and had previously worked in the Melbourne office for over seven years. Simon is an intellectual property lawyer with extensive experience in protecting and enforcing intellectual property rights across multiple jurisdictions.
His experience includes developing and enforcing brand protection strategies on matters for trade mark, copyright and design owners, and providing contentious and non-contentious advice in relation to all aspects of intellectual property law.
Simon works with his clients to prosecute, manage and enforce international trade mark and design portfolios and regularly advises on related clearance issues. His broad range of experience includes prosecuting Australian, New Zealand, UK, EU and international trade mark and design applications as well as acting and appearing in contentious trade mark and patent opposition proceedings before IP Australia, IPONZ, the UKIPO and the EUIPO.
Simon has represented clients in legal proceedings concerning patent, trade mark, design and copyright infringement, as well as the misuse of confidential information and trade practices cases before the Federal Court of Australia, Supreme Court of Victoria, Intellectual Property Enterprise Court and High Court of Justice in the UK.
Simon also assists client with a wide range of online conduct matters including the recovery of domain names registered in bad faith, eCommerce disputes and social media issues and he has specific experience in developing, managing and enforcing anti-counterfeiting campaigns and customs programs for clients.
- Recognised as a Rising Star – Australia by Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars, 2018
- Law Institute of Victoria member
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand member
- The Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys member
- K&L Gates INspire member (National LGBTI+ Network)
- Simon was the runner up in the 2014 LIV Golden Gavel competition as well as a participant in the IPSANZ Victorian Christmas Moot 2014 and the 2015 Legal Comedy Debate (as part of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival).
- "The Business and Law of Fashion and Retail," International Issues, Carolina Academic Press, August 2020
- “Zara vs. Zara,” Ragtrader, August 2019
- “Social Sense,” Ragtrader, July 2019
- “A 'Spotlight' on copyright,” Ragtrader, 1 March 2019
- “Slave, no more,” Ragtrader, 1 January 2019
- “Social Butterflies,” Ragtrader, 1 October 2018
- “Designed To Last,” Ragtrader, 1 September 2018
- “Drawing Parallels,” Ragtrader, 1 August 2018
- “Owning your domain,” Ragtrader, March 2018
- “Cash for comment,” Ragtrader, June 2016
- “The online dilemma,” Ragtrader, August 2015
- “Wait, that's mine!” Ragtrader, July 2015