Brett Durham is a partner in the Charlotte office and focuses his practice on business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity, venture capital, and joint ventures. He also advises clients on general corporate matters, including commercial contracts, and regularly acts as outside general counsel to a variety of businesses.
Brett has represented various parties in complex transactions, including financial and strategic buyers and sellers, equity investors, financial institutions, and management teams. He has led transactions in, and represented companies involved in, a variety of industries, including distribution, logistics, manufacturing, technology, health care, building products and services, and financial services.
Prior to joining the firm, Brett worked as an analyst in the human resources department of a national medical supply distributor.
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America® for Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law (2012-2024), Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2013-2024), and Venture Capital Law (2012-2024)
- Recipient of "Lawyer of the Year" award in Venture Capital, by the Best Lawyers in America® in Charlotte (2020, 2023)
- Recipient of "Lawyer of the Year" award in Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, by the Best Lawyers in America® in Charlotte (2018)
- Named the Best Lawyers® Venture Capital "Lawyer of the Year" in Charlotte (2020, 2023)
- Named to the North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Stars list for Mergers & Acquisitions (2011-2014)
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Mecklenburg Presbyterian Church
- Co-authored with David Batty, "Credit market's turmoil may aid mezzanine debt,” Charlotte Business Journal, November 2007