Eiko Grieger is a counsel in the firm's Tokyo office and member of the asset and corporate finance practice group, with a focus on aircraft, asset, equipment, and transport finance as well as infrastructure and acquisition finance. He has comprehensive experience in various kinds of complex domestic and cross-border transactions in Europe and Japan involving aircraft, rail, IT equipment, infrastructure, and leasing assets. He advises banks, financial institutions, investors, closed-end investment funds, borrowers, high-net-worth individuals, and operators, as well as lessors and lessees in the aviation, infrastructure, rail, and public transport industries. He has worked on a variety of financial products, including Japanese operating leases (JOL), Japanese operating leases with call options (JOLCO), operating leases, finance leases, sale and leasebacks and portfolio sales, acquisitions, restructurings, and financings for multiple assets including rolling stock. As a passionate private pilot, he also has first-hand aviation experience.
Eiko joined the firm in January 2009 after working as a lawyer for another major international law firm in the fields of banking and finance. Prior to this, he worked abroad for a leading international consultancy in Japan.
In addition, he is a native German speaker and has practiced in Frankfurt for many years, during which time he advised major global lessors and financial institutions on lease and financing related transactions. As Eiko is also a Japanese speaker, he bridges the Japanese and the international financial markets.
- Recognized in Who's Who Legal: Transport – Aviation Guide 2023 (Japan Chapter) for “highest-ranked Aviation lawyer”
- Advised on Aviation 100 Asia-Pacific Debt Deal of the Year (2022), Airline Economics
- Recognized in Who’s Who Legal: Transport – Aviation Guide 2022 (Japan Chapter) for “outstanding work on high-value aviation finance transactions”
- Ranked 2nd in Asia-Pacific, European and Middle Eastern Markets - Airfinance Journal's Legal Survey (2019-2023)
- Listed as a Top Three Law Firm Globally for Aviation Finance in Airfinance Journal's Guide to Aviation Lawyers (2018-2023)
- Ranked Top Law Firm by Airfinance Journal based on the number of JOL/JOLCO transactions completed (2017-2023)
- Advised on Aviation 100 Asia-Pacific Debt Deal of the Year (2019), Airline Economics
- Advised on Aviation 100 Asia-Pacific Overall Deal of the Year (2019), Airlines Economics
- Advised on “ABS Deal of the Year” Airfinance Journal Global Awards (2019)
- International Society of Transport Aircraft Trading (ISTAT)
- German-Japanese Lawyers’ Association
- Graduate of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) scholarship “Language and Practical Training in Japan.” (2000-2002)
- Assume the role of moderator at the Tokyo Airline Economics Conference, April 2023
- Contribution to ”Tokyo AirFinance Engine Roundtable" 2017
- UAE: More Gold From the Desert, Cleared to Land, K&L Gates Aviation Newsletter, January 2019
- Contribution on legal aspects of engine financing to ”Tokyo Engine Roundtable 2017: Leasing demand grows”, AirFinance Journal May 2017