Jim Bulling's practice focuses on banking and financial services and he acts for a range of entities in the financial services and funds management industry. His clients include Australian and international investment managers, banks, trustees of superannuation funds, wholesale and retail investment trusts, funds management companies and financial planning groups.
Jim's main areas of focus include banking and financial product disclosure issues, financial services compliance issues, fintech, financial product distribution issues and superannuation and funds management.
Jim also provides advice on governance issues targeted at prevention of bribery and corruption and regularly prepares papers and presents on issues relating to emerging banking and financial services issues.
Jim is an editor and regular author of our global fintech blog Fintech Law Watch.
He is also a Recognised Practitioner by Chambers Asia-Pacific (since 2019) for Financial Services Regulation.
Prior to joining the firm, Jim was a senior partner at a large Australian law firm and worked as in-house counsel for a large Australian funds manager and an investment bank.
- Chambers Asia Pacific, ranked individual in Financial Services Regulation - Australia (2019-present)
- Australian Superannuation Funds Association (ASFA) - member of Consumer Governance and Regulatory Policy Council
- Australian Centre for Financial Studies – member of Fintech Steering Committee
- Speaker, BT Principals Community Virtual Professional Development, 29 July 2021
- Global Distribution Update, The Investment Association, April 2021
- Superannuation Fund Investment in Private Equity, K&L Gates Virtual Roundtable, June 2020
- Navigating ASIC's Foreign Financial Services Providers Regulatory Guide, K&L Gates Webinar, April 2020
- Presentations on contemporary issues for superannuation funds, Leo Cussen Institute in Melbourne, April 2020 and October 2019.
- Enforcement in Financial Services post Royal Commission, K&L Gates seminars in Sydney and Melbourne, May and June 2019.
- Financial product impact of the Royal Commission to Fordham and their clients in Melbourne, June 2019
- A series of presentations to financial planning groups in Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney, Perth and Melbourne, February to May 2018 in relation to ASIC surveillance and enforcement initiatives
- Presentations to superannuation funds in Melbourne and Sydney on dealing with the Royal Commission enquiry, February and March 2018
- Artificial Intelligence and the Law – Australian Lawyer Legal Tech Summit, Sydney, December 2017
- Open Bank Data – Money2020 Roadshow, Sydney, December 2017
- Fintech Innovation – Finsia Seminar, Sydney, October 2015
- "Disruptive Technologies in Financial Services," K&L Gates Breakfast Client Seminar, March 2015
- Financial Services Update – Australian Corporate Lawyers Association, Melbourne, October 2013
- External Press, "Utilising AI in financial compliance", Financier Worldwide, March 2020
- Royal Commission Report – Life Insurance and General Insurance, 25 February 2019
- Royal Commission Report – Financial Advice Businesses, Financial Services Alert, 15 February 2019
- "Merger matters", SuperFunds, May 2017
- “FinTech in Canada,” Digital Finance Institute and McCarthy Tétrault LLP, 2016
- Global Government Solutions® 2016 Mid-Year Outlook, July 2016
- “Investment Management Business in Australia,” The Investment Lawyer, Vol. 22, No. 8, 8 August 2015