Louis Degos is a highly regarded litigation and arbitration lawyer. He heads the Litigation and Arbitration practice at K&L Gates Paris. Louis Degos has been elected as a member of French National Bar Council for two mandates: from 2015 to 2017, and from 2018 to 2020. During his six years of mandate, he was notably chairman of the Commission on Future, Prospective, and Innovation of the legal profession (CNB) and directed the Future, Prospective, and Innovation magazine, published at Lexis Neixs. From January 2012 to December 2014, Louis has served with distinction as an elected member of the elite Council of the Paris Bar Association.
In his areas of expertise, Louis has two official professional accreditations from National Authorities: he holds the national certificate of specialist lawyer in Arbitration Law, and he is accredited by the French Lawyers National Mediation Centre to practice as Mediator. These professional qualifications reflect his strong experience and practice in commercial litigation and alternative dispute resolution. He pleads regularly before French state courts and arbitral (ad hoc and institutional) tribunals in domestic and international disputes.
Louis has taken part in more than 100 arbitrations as a counsel or as an arbitrator (President of Arbitral Tribunal, co-arbitrator or sole arbitrator) in domestic and international arbitrations, ad hoc or following arbitration rules (ICC, CMAP, AFA, Swiss rules of international arbitration, UNCITRAL etc.).
Louis frequently represents parties in alternative dispute resolution proceedings. He advises parties within the framework of mediations and other alternative dispute resolution modes, such as assisted negotiation or mini-trial.
He is also a regularly appointed mediator, both in domestic and international disputes, on high profile cases in a wide range of industry sectors (aerospace, automobiles, chemicals, construction, energy, engineering, high-tech, mining and metals, oil & gas, telecom, transportation).
Louis is also well-known for his particular knowledge in arbitration law and his experience in disputes following or related to arbitration. He represents parties before state courts within the framework of proceedings related to arbitration (temporary and protective measures, appointment of the arbitral tribunal, appeal, annulment recourse and execution of awards). He has been counsel, co-counsel or consultant, in numerous recourses against or enforcements of arbitral awards in France and abroad. He is also the regular counsel of important institutions of arbitration and often represents arbitrators whose liability is engaged before courts.
Louis is a member of the Board of Directors of the French Arbitration Committee as well as many other institutions and learned societies (Association Française d'Arbitrage, Association Suisse d'Arbitrage, Paris The Home of International Arbitration, etc.).
His university career has turned to arbitration and alternative dispute resolution, which he still teaches at the University. Louis is also a teacher at the CMAP as part of the arbitrator training and He is a frequent speaker at seminars and conferences on arbitration, mediation, ADR, but also on legal innovations and professional practice. Louis is a Chevalier in the National Order of Merit.
Before joining K&L Gates LLP in 2009, Louis was a partner since 2001t in a French law firm with a significant pleading practice in commercial litigation and international arbitration. In 2005, he joined an international law firm of British origin as a partner in charge of the litigation practice in France.
- Recognized in Best Lawyers France 2022, for over ten consecutive years, for work in:
- Arbitration and Mediation
- International Arbitration
- Ranked in Chambers Europe 2021 - International Arbitration - France
- “Louis Degos of K&L Gates is a seasoned practitioner and assists clients with arbitration cases and the associated disputes before national courts. He is active across the transportation, telecommunications and mining sectors”.
- Ranked in Chambers Global 2021 - - France
- “Louis Degos is a seasoned practitioner and assists clients with arbitration cases and the associated disputes before national courts. He is active across the transportation, telecommunications and mining sectors”. One client says: “When he speaks, people listen and his words are influential,” adding: “People respect him, he is very client-oriented and always tries to defend his client's position.”
- Recommended in Legal 500 EMEA 2021 for Commercial Litigation and International Arbitration
- Listed in Who's Who Legal amongst the best lawyers in mediation, litigation and arbitration:
- Thought Leader - France - Commercial Litigation 2021
- Global Leader - Litigation 2020
- National Leader - France - Arbitration 2021
- “With experience in over 95 high-profile cases, Louis Degos of K&L Gates is recognized as a ‘leader’ in international arbitration proceedings across a range of industry sector. Peers praise his ‘sound judgement’ and ‘strong negotiation skills’”.
- National Leader - France - Commercial Litigation 2021
- “K&L Gates' Louis Degos is a ‘top litigator’ with significant experience in domestic and international commercial litigation proceedings”.
- National Leader - France - Mediation 2021
- “The ‘very active’ Louis Degos at K&L Gates is a seasoned practitioner in all forms of dispute resolution, including mediation. His expertise in oil and gas, construction and high-tech matters makes him a choice of quality”.
- Listed by the GAR in two categories
- Arbitration as one of the top 55 best lawyers in France
- Arbitration - Future Leaders amongst the top 33 Best Partners in France.
- Quoted in Global Arbitration Review as the "first international arbitration specialist for decades to be elected to the Paris Bar Council."
- Named in the Global Arbitration Review 2011 - "45 under 45" – a guide to leading figures in international arbitration
- Ranked by the magazine Décideurs - Leaders League in 2021 in the following categories
- Commercial Litigation
- “Africa Desk - International arbitration and litigation” “Mediation”
- "International Arbitration"
- Recognized amongst leading France Arbitration lawyers by Option Droit & Affaires
- Member of the French Delegation of the Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe (Conseil des Barreaux Européens - CCBE) (2012-Aujourd’hui)
- Former member of the elite Council of the Paris Bar Association (2012-2014)
- Former member of the French National Bar Council ( two mandate:2015-2017 and 2018-2020)
- Former chairman of the Commission on Future, Prospective, and Innovation of the legal profession (CNB)
- Professor in civil procedure (Free Faculty of Law and Economics), ARD and arbitration (University of Versailles -Saint-Quentin and HEC)
Associations and Societies
- Member of the Board of Directors of the French Arbitration Committee, former General Secretary
- Member of the Board of the French Committee of Arbitration (CFA) since 2001
- Member of the International Arbitration Institute (IAI), of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), of the French Association of Arbitration (AFA) and of the Swiss Association of Arbitration (ASA)
- 10 and 11 September: Science & Law Conference about “Legal Technology: it’s not just about lawyers anymore” (event)
- 17 June 2021: intervention about “Les enjeux de l’utilisation et de la diffusion des données numériques judiciaires” at the CADEJ of ENM (event)
- 14 June 2021: Legal Intellect Conference (event)
- 10 and 11 June 2021: Symposium about arbitration in OHADA law (event)
Louis has written numerous articles about domestic and international arbitration, both in French and in English. He also held conferences in France and abroad.
Selection of publications and work from 2021:
- Digital Code 2022, Lexis Nexis, 19 August 2021
- “Creation of the Legal Services and Law Sector Association”, Affiches Parisiennes, 1 April 2021
- “Could a "Legal Sector" materialize in France?”“, Village de la justice, 1 April 2021
- "Do not miss the turn of the lawyer in business", Le Point, 3 March 2021
- "Lawyer in a company, a matter of status", Agefi Hebdo, 15 February 2021
- "The lawyer (employee) in a company: Totems and Taboos", La Semaine Juridique, p. 377 du n°239, 22 February 2021