Louis Degos is a highly regarded litigation and arbitration lawyer. He heads the Litigation and Arbitration practice at K&L Gates Paris. Louis Degos has been elected as a member of French National Bar Council for a three year mandate (2015-2017) and he is chairman of the Commission on Future, Prospective, and Innovation of the legal profession (CNB). From January 2012 to December 2014 Louis Degos has served with distinction as an elected member of the elite Council of the Paris Bar Association.
In his areas of expertise, Louis has two official professional accreditations from National Authorities: he holds the national certificate of specialist lawyer in Arbitration Law, and he is accredited by the French Lawyers National Mediation Centre to practice as Mediator. These professional qualifications reflect his strong experience and practice in commercial litigation and alternative dispute resolution. He pleads regularly before French state courts and arbitral (ad hoc and institutional) tribunals in domestic and international disputes.
Louis has taken part in more than 95 arbitrations as a counsel or as an arbitrator (President of Arbitral Tribunal, co-arbitrator or sole arbitrator) in domestic and international arbitrations, ad hoc or following arbitration rules (ICC, CMAP, AFA, Swiss rules of international arbitration, UNCITRAL etc.).
Louis frequently represents parties in alternative dispute resolution proceedings. He advises parties within the framework of mediations and other alternative dispute resolution modes, such as assisted negotiation or mini-trial.
He is also a regularly appointed mediator, both in domestic and international disputes, on high profile cases in a wide range of industry sectors (aerospace, automobiles, chemicals, construction, energy, engineering, high-tech, mining and metals, oil & gas, telecom, transportation).
Louis is also well-known for his particular knowledge in arbitration law and his experience in disputes following or related to arbitration. He represents parties before state courts within the framework of proceedings related to arbitration (temporary and protective measures, appointment of the arbitral tribunal, appeal, annulment recourse and execution of awards). He has been counsel, co-counsel or consultant, in over 20 recourses against or enforcement of arbitral awards in France and abroad. He is also the regular counsel of an important institution of arbitration and often represents arbitrators whose liability is engaged before courts.
Before joining the firm, Louis was a partner first in a French law firm and afterwards, in the Paris office of a British law firm where he practiced commercial litigation and international arbitration.
Ranked in Litigation and Arbitration of the magazine Décideurs Stratégie Finance Droit, in 2016 and 2017:
- Category "International Arbitration": graded 3rd group "Strong reputation" (2017)
- Category "Commercial Litigation": graded 4th group "Well-known practice" (2016)
Recognized amongst leading France Arbitration lawyers by Option Droit & Affaires in 2017
K&L Gates Paris, represented by Louis Degos (Partner, Paris) and Peter Kalis (Chairman, worldwide) was distinguished as "Rising team and firm" in the category "International Law Firm 2010" during the 9th Ceremony of the Trophy of Law and Finance (11 March 2010)
Listed in Who's Who Legal / GAR: Arbitration 2017 and in Arbitration - Future Leader 2017
Listed by Who's Who Legal 2017 among top lawyers in mediation:
- The “very active” Louis Degos at K&L GATES is a seasoned practitioner in all forms of dispute resolution, including mediation. His expertise in oil and gas, construction and high-tech matters makes him a popular choice.
Listed by Who's Who Legal 2016, 2017 among top litigation lawyers in arbitration and commercial litigation:
- Arbitration: With experience in over 95 high-profile cases, Louis Degos of K&L Gates is recognized as a "leader" in international arbitration proceedings across a range of industry sector. Peers praise his "sound judgement" and "strong negotiation skills".
- Commercial Litigation: K&L Gates' Louis Degos is a "top litigator" with significant experience in domestic and international commercial litigation proceedings.
Ranked "Band 3" in Chambers Global and Europe 2017 - Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration - France
- Louis Degos of K&L Gates represents clients in complex commercial disputes and international arbitrations, as well as assisting with alternative dispute resolution matters. One client says: “When he speaks, people listen and his words are influential,” adding: “People respect him, he is very client-oriented and always tries to defend his client's position.”
Ranked "Band 2" in Chambers Global and Europe 2016 - Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration - France
- Widely respected in the French market, Louis Degos heads the department at K&L Gates. He is described by market sources as "a wise and practical lawyer" and is adept across a range of commercial arbitrations . He recently formed part of the team advising Akzo Nobel on civil liability claims and industrial risk.
Recommended in Legal 500 EMEA 2017 for Commercial Litigation and International Arbitration
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in France for Arbitration, Mediation and International Arbitration in 2016 and 2017
Selected by the Legal Media Group Guide to the World's Leading Experts in Commercial Arbitration (among the 50 practitioners selected for France in 2016)
Named in the Global Arbitration Review 2011 - "45 under 45" – a guide to leading figures in international arbitration
Quoted in Global Arbitration Review as the "first international arbitration specialist for decades to be elected to the Paris Bar Council"
- Former member of the elite Council of the Paris Bar Association (2012-2014)
- Elected member of the French National Bar Council for a three year tenure (2015-2017, Conseil National des Barreaux — CNB)
- Chairman of the Commission on Future, Prospective, and Innovation of the legal profession (CNB)
- Appointed, in January 2014, by the Paris Bar Association to lead the newly-created Public Affairs Department
- Chairman of the Commission "International Arbitration" of the Paris Bar Association and member of the Arbitration Group of the French National Bar Council (CNB)
- Appointed co-chair of the National Commission of Non-Judiciary Dispute Resolution (Résolution extra-judiciaire des litiges) by the National Board of the ACE (Avocats Conseils d'Entreprise)
- Professor in civil procedure (Free Faculty of Law and Economics) and arbitration (University of Versailles -Saint-Quentin and HEC )
- Member of the Board of the French Committee of Arbitration (CFA ) since 2001
- Member of the International Arbitration Institute (IAI), of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), of the French Association of Arbitration (AFA) and of the Swiss Association of Arbitration (ASA)
Louis has written numerous articles about domestic and international arbitration, both in French and in English. He also held conferences in France and abroad.
Selection of publications and work:
- "L'art délicat de la clause attributive de juridiction", co-authored D. Akchoti, in La semaine juridique, Ed. G, n°5, 28 janvier 2013, p.183 et s.</li>
- "L'histoire du nouveau décret, dix ans de gestation", in Th. Clay (dir.) : Le nouveau droit français de l'arbitrage. Actes du colloque du 28 février 2011, Lextenso Editions, 8 novembre 2011
- "Contrat d'arbitre: de la responsabilité contractuelle à la responsabilité délictuelle", in Petites Affiches, 11-14 novembre 2011, n°225-226, p.10 et s.
- "L'absence de pouvoir d'injonction du juge étatique envers l'arbitre en application d'un principe de non-interférence", in Cah. de l'arbitrage N°2010/3
- "La révélation remise en question(s) ", in Cah. de l'Arbitrage N° 2009/4, Gaz.Pal., 13-15 déc. 2009, p.6 et s.
- "Inappropriate Application of Regulation Brussels 1 to International Arbitration (Critics of the "Heildelberg Report")", Le Barreau autour du Monde, BAM, n° 21, Février 2009.
- "La consécration de l'arbitrage en tant que justice internationale autonome", in Le Dalloz, n°21, 29 mai 2008 p.1429
- "L'évolution du droit dans l'entreprise - le juridique face aux défis de l'économie", in La Tribune, 16 avril 2008, p.24.
- "La CNUDCI abandonne l'exigence d'écrit pour la convention d'arbitrage", in Cah. de l'Arbitrage N° 2007/1, Gaz. Pal., 22-24 avril 2007, p. 5 et s.
- "Quel résultat pour l'honoraire de résultat en arbitrage ?", in Petites Affiches (oct 2007)
- "La Recusacion con base en opiniones previas del arbitro. ¿Hemos abierto la caja de Pandora?" in Arbitraje Internacional, Tensiones actuales, Legis, 2007, p.273.
- "Civil Liability of Arbitrators: New Inroads on the Arbitrator's Immunity From Suit – a Worrying or Welcome Development?", in Stockolm International Arbitration Report, 2006 #1, p.149.
- "Stratégie du contentieux : l'arbitrage constitue-t-il une bonne solution?", in Option Finance, mai 2005, pp 39-41
- "La percée de l'arbitrage dans la justice administrative : le contentieux du contrat de partenariat", in Décideurs Stratégie Finance & Droit, 15 mars - 15 avril 2005, pp. 94-95
- "Arbitration in a European context", in Revista Brasiliera de Arbitragem 36 (July- Aug 2003)
- "La Cour de Cassation consacre l'autonomie de la clause compromissoire en arbitrage interne", in Le Dalloz n°17, 24 April 2003 p.1117
- "The new provisions of French law relating to the arbitration clause", in RDAI/ Int'l Bus. Law J., 2001.653 (édition bilingue)
- "La clause compromissoire réhabilitée", in Gaz. Pal., 13-14 June 2001, Doctrine, p. 6.
- "Médiation et équité", Rev. jur.comm., no. 6, 2001, p.147, avec B. Moreau, conference held on December 2000 the 4th at the Tribunal de Commerce of Paris
- "Arbitrage interne et international: unification des conditions de la compétence du juge des référés pour accorder une provision ?" in Revue de l'arbitrage, 1998.673
- Chronique de jurisprudence française, Revue de l'arbitrage, 1997.583
- Contributions to the Revue de l'Arbitrage; responsible of the electronic version of the Revue de l'Arbitrage (distributed on CD Rom by Kluwer Law International)
- Training for arbitrators and mediators at the CMAP near the CCIP
- Training during sessions organized by permanent organizations of arbitration and mediation (CNEJITA-CMITA, Federation of Cocoa Commerce) for arbitrators and mediators
- Member of the Comity of Reform of French law on Arbitration
- General Secretary of the Work Team n°1, presided by Prof. E. LOQUIN, on the Arbitration Agreement within the framework of the workings of the Committee of inquiry of the French Arbitration Committee