Matthew Stuart Miller is a nationally recognized corporate attorney and legal advisor. As a partner in the Corporate, Health Care and FDA practice groups, Matthew focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, and venture capital law.
Matthew has been repeatedly honored as a leader in his field. He was named as Bloomberg Law's Top 40 Under 40, recognizing the nation's most accomplished legal minds. He has also been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 and 2024. Over his career, Matthew has routinely overseen transactions ranging from US$100 million to over US$1 billion. He has successfully negotiated more than 100 deals for clients, including some of the largest health care systems, private equity investors, and pre-IPO companies in the world.
His clients include private equity investors, strategic buyers and sellers, hospital systems, academic medical centers, physician practice groups and non-reporting, privately-held companies. He has significant experience working with corporate clients and private equity sponsors to complete mergers, acquisitions, recapitalizations, joint ventures, and strategic partnerships, including forming innovative management services organizations for PE-sponsored health care transactions. He maintains an active corporate practice, which focuses on venture capital and corporate governance for technology, digital health, and business services companies.
Matthew is a frequent author and speaker on legal issues affecting healthcare, technology, and private equity. His commentary has appeared in publications such as Bloomberg Law, Law360, and the Nashville Business Journal. Matthew is on a mission to help private equity sponsors, corporate clients, and health care providers successfully close every deal.
Before joining the firm, Matthew served as a lieutenant with the US Navy and Merchant Marine, where he served for 8 years on active and reserve duty. During this time, Matthew worked for US Shipping Partners as a mate focusing on integrated tug and barge operations, and then for the American P&I Club in New York, New York, while earning his juris doctor from Fordham University School of Law. Following law school, he clerked for the Honorable Helen E. Hoens of the New Jersey Supreme Court.
A dedicated public servant, Matthew chairs the firm's Nashville pro bono committee, which provides nearly 1,000 hours of pro bono legal services each year.
- Honoree, Bloomberg Law, "The 40 Under 40," Third Annual Edition (2023)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 and 2024 for Health Care Law
- Archibald F. Murray, Public Service Award
- Legal Advisory Board Member, The Beacon Center of Tennessee
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth (Tennessee Chapter)
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Quoted, "Exploring the landscape of private equity in Nashville’s thriving market," Nashville Business Journal, 1 September 2023
- Mentioned, "40 Outstanding Lawyers Under 40 Recognized By Bloomberg Law," Bloomberg Law, 27 July 2023
- Mentioned, “A Conversation with K&L Gates on Nashville’s evolving role as a health care industry hub,” Nashville Business Journal, 1 June 2023
- Quoted, "SEC Could Pull More 'Unicorns' Into Public Reporting Regime," Law360, 28 January 2022