Todd R. Southwell is a partner in the firm’s Chicago office where he is a member of the M&A and private equity practice groups. His areas of focus include mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions and general corporate representation matters. Todd is directly involved in all phases of transactions and business counseling matters, including management and board discussions, initial planning, structuring, negotiations, document drafting and implementation. He is regarded as a seasoned deal lawyer and business advisor by clients.
Private Equity and Mergers & Acquisitions Transactions: Todd has extensive experience representing both U.S. and non-U.S. private equity firms, portfolio companies, strategic and corporate entities, venture capital funds, family offices and individuals with acquisitions, divestitures, add-ons, mergers, roll ups, buyouts, exchange and tender offers, takeovers, leveraged buyouts, strategic alliances, capital raises, corporate reorganizations/restructurings and joint ventures.
General Company Representation: Todd also works closely with clients on their day-to-day governance, general corporate, new venture and business-related matters. This entails contract drafting and negotiation, governing document preparation, directors’ duties, corporate governance, disclosure issue advice, compliance matters and board/manager assistance.
Todd is engaged by companies and business owners of all sizes in a variety of industries. Among the industries in which Todd has substantial transactional and business advisory involvement are the agriculture, airline, container, energy and utilities, financial institution, food and beverage, insurance, logistics, manufacturing, medical/health care, plastics/synthetic materials, processing and software/technology.
Prior to joining the firm, Todd was a member of the corporate practice groups for an international firm and regional firm where he focused on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions and general corporate representation matters.
- Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Leading Lawyers, 2017, 2018, and 2020
- Association for Corporate Growth Private Equity and Mergers and Acquisitions Committee
- Association for Corporate Growth Annual Food and Beverage Conference Co-Chairman
- Chicagoland Food and Beverage Network
- PRO | Presidents Resources Organization
- Winnetka Hockey Club, Board Member
- Round table speaker, "M&A Trends in Food and Beverage," Association for Corporate Growth Chicago, 11 May 2021
- “Joint Ventures: A Primer.” Co-Author of article that was published in the Middle Market Edition of the SRR Journal.