Tom Young is a corporate partner based in Brisbane specialising in aviation and transport, tourism and hospitality, infrastructure and real estate.
He brings significant experience to government and private sector related areas of law, working with airports and leading airlines, rail and ports in relation to the operation of airports, regulatory and real estate matters, airport privatisations and commercial partnerships.
He is also a specialist in the legal framework that governs the usage of drones by the aviation, rail, mining, agricultural and commercial industries and regularly presents to Government, mining companies and other lawyers in relation to the commercial application of drones and various regulatory and contract issues associated with them.
Tom also has an in-depth understanding of Queensland, Australian and Asia Pacific tourism industries. In the hospitality industry, Tom is a national recognised expert in resort and hotel accommodation, liquor and gaming, and acts in the development and acquisition of major hotels and resorts.
Tom has a keen focus in supporting indigenous initiatives spanning over the tourism and property sectors. He has actively participated and provided pro bono support to Queensland Tourism Industry Council for the Year of Indigenous Tourism, First Nations Tourism Consultation and the Champions Network. He is also actively involved in numerous pro bono property and leasing ventures.
He has over 30 years' experience in commercial property law spanning development and approvals, acquisitions, due diligence investigations to industrial and retail leasing matters with extensive experience in negotiating major leasing deals.
Tom has a keen interest in the health and life science sector and has applied his expertise to a wide range of transactions from real estate and operational aspects of health facilities, through to medical innovation, research and regulatory advice.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Tom worked as a partner for 18 years at an international law firm based in Brisbane.
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Real Estate in (2019-present)
- Chambers Asia Pacific, ranked individual in Aviation - Australia Band 2 (2021)
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, recognised as a leading lawyer for Transport: Aviation – Australia (2012-15, 2017-18 and 2020)
- Client Choice Awards - International, Winner for Leisure & Tourism – Australia (2013)
- "Tom Young delivers extensive understanding of the regulations governing the aviation and airport industries. He is particularly experience in the protection of prescribed airspace, controlled activity requirements and airport privatisation and is also increasingly developing a reputation in the drone space." – Asia Pacific Legal 500, Australia: Transport – Aviation, 2020
- "Tom Young is an expert in the use and regulation of drones. He also excels in aviation and airport industry regulatory matters and recently advised a client on aeronautical legislation and environmental requirements in relation to a major construction project." – Asia Pacific Legal 500, Australia: Transport – Aviation, 2019