Ed Dartley is a partner in the firm's New York office and a member of the asset management and investment funds group. Ed concentrates his practice on private equity, real estate and venture capital funds, counseling clients on fund formation, governance, and regulatory and other matters. Driven by his enthusiasm for helping others build businesses and create value, Ed focuses his efforts on emerging and middle-market private equity and other private fund managers. Ed regularly counsels on seeding and joint venture relationships, and he represents numerous international clients seeking to establish or expand their business in the United States. He also advises start-up and emerging private companies outside of the investment management industry.
As part of his practice, Ed advises in the areas of traditional and alternative energy, sustainability and impact investing, fintech, and the recently-established opportunity zone program.
Ed spent over a decade as in house counsel and chief compliance officer at an investment manager, and brings this unique perspective on how asset management works from the inside to all that he does. Ed continues to utilize this experience by providing holistic advice as regular outside counsel to a number of the firm’s clients.
When possible, Ed combines his work and recreational time, fielding calls while kayaking, hiking, or skiing in New York’s Catskill Mountains.
Prior to joining the firm, Ed was a partner in the New York office of a national law firm. Prior to that, he was counsel and chief compliance officer with a registered investment advisor with several billion dollars under management.
- 2019 National Law Review Go-To Thought Leaders for contributions about Opportunity Zones under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- “New Manager Forum”, May 2018
- “Private Lending and Family Offices,” May 23, 2017
- “Private Equity / Venture Capital,” Opal Marketplace Lending & Alternative Financing Summit, Dana Point CA, December 2016
- “Election 2016--Critical Issues for the IM Industry” - K&L Gates Investment Management Roundtable Series, October 2016
- “The Future of Fintech: The Emergence of Fintech Aggregators” - Lendit Europe, October 2016
- “Marketplace Lending Investment Structures, and Securitization and Secondary Markets: Marketplace Lending Investment Structures,” Marketplace Lending and Crowdfunding 2016, September 2016
- “New Manager Forum,” April 2016
- “AIMA Briefing and Regulatory Update - New York,” March 2016
- “The SEC Guidance on Determination and Verification of Accredited Investor Status: What You Need to Know in 2015,” The Knowledge Group, June 2015
- “Private Fund Compliance Forum 2015,” Private Equity International, May 2015
- “Compliance with Rule 105 Regulation M,” ACA Compliance Group, March 2015
- “ALTFI Europe Summit 2015,” February 2015
- “Initial coin offerings: key US legal considerations for ICO investors and sponsors,” Journal of Investment Compliance (JOIC), Vol. 19, Issue: 1, June 2018
- “Private Equity Managers: Considerations for Managers in the Middle Market,” The Investment Lawyer, Vol. 25, No. 5, May 2018
- “Seeding Arrangements: Structure, Approach, and the Current Market,” Investment Lawyer, Vol. 24, No. 12, December 2017
- “The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Lending & Secured Finance 2017,” Marketplace Lending, Chapter 21, 2017
- “Considerations for Investment Managers Considering Acquiring Portfolios of Online or Marketplace Loans,” The Investment Lawyer, Vol. 23 No. 5, May 2016
- “Fundraising Strategy: Open Dialogue,” The Legal Special 2015, April 2015
- “Private Equity and Valuation: Separating Hype From Reality,” New York Law Journal, May 2014
- “Cost and Benefits of Jobs Act’s Lifting of General Advertising Ban,” New York Law Journal, December 2013