Stephen Bittinger is a partner in the firm's Charleston and Washington, DC offices. He is a member of the health care/FDA practice group. Stephen focuses his practice on health care reimbursement compliance, defense and litigation, with an emphasis on government and private payer disputes on behalf of providers, suppliers, and manufacturers involved in the U.S. health care system nationally and from abroad. He has extensive experience representing large provider groups, home health agencies, medical facilities, ancillary service providers, medical labs, revenue cycle management companies, and drug and device manufacturers in matters including Medicare and Medicaid audits, private payer audits, federal regulatory termination and exclusion proceedings, False Claims Act defense, and health care revenue disputes. Stephen is one of the leading attorneys in the country on the law regarding the use of statistical sampling and extrapolation in the review and analysis of health care claims. He has served as an expert witness regarding federal reimbursement law in civil and criminal proceedings. Stephen has represented many providers with federal agency matters, including the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Center for Program Integrity (CPI), the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (HHS-OIG), the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), and Health Care Fraud division of the Department of Justice (DOJ).
Prior to joining the firm Stephen served at a regional commercial law firm where he focused his practice on health care reimbursement defense and litigation. Previously, Stephen and team represented numerous types of physician practices, home health agencies, medical facilities, ancillary service providers, medical laboratories, revenue cycle management companies, and drug/device manufacturers in Medicare audits (RAC, ZPIC, UPIC, TPE), Medicaid audits (SIU), private payors audits, federal regulatory termination, and exclusion litigation related to the health care revenue cycle.
- Stephen Bittinger was named “Presenter of the Year” by 1st Healthcare Compliance
- Charleston Business Magazine's Legal Elite – Healthcare, 2022
- Speaker, RISE West 2022, "The Current State of RA Litigation and Risk Areas for MA Plans, Vendors and Downstream Entities," 1 September 2022
- Speaker, Risk Adjustment Compliance – Best Practices For Avoiding Legal Action, 9 November 2021
- Speaker, RISE West 2021, "Legal Insights Panel: Trends in Audit and Compliance Issues," 2 September 2021
- Speaker, Virtual Regional Healthcare Compliance Conference: "Big Data and False Claims Act Risk Due to COVID-19," Health Care Compliance Association, 6 August 2021
- "Weekly News and Compliance Strategies on Federal Regulations, Enforcement Actions and Audits," Report on Medicare Compliance, Vol. 31 No. 32, 5 September 2022
- “Hunting Telehealth Fraud Under COVID-19 Waivers and Expansion,” Pratt’s Government Contracting Law Report, December 2021
- "Qui Tam Quarterly: COVID-19 and the Big-Data Revolution of False Claims Act Legislation," Health Law Journal- Vol. 26 No. 2, New York Bar Association, 25 May 2021
- Interviewed, "In ‘Dual Audit,’ Lab Is Audited by Both I-MEDIC and MA Plan’s SIU," Health Care Compliance Association, 31(27),1 August 2022
- Quoted, "Medtrade West Delivers On In-Person Promise," HomeCareMag.com, 2 August 2021
- Quoted, "Rulings: Sampling, Extrapolations Should Include Underpayments, Unpaid Claims," Report on Medicare Compliance, 12 July 2021
- Quoted, "More RAC Audits Are Coming, This Time From VA for Community Care," Health Care Compliance Association, 10 May 2021
- Quoted, "Report on Medicare Compliance: Commercial Player, Medicare Telehealth Audits are Underway, with Some Surprises," Health Care Compliance Association, 18 January 2021