Brendan Gutierrez McDonnell is a forward, visionary thinker, solving legal and business issues affecting public and private growth companies. Brendan is on the leading edge of ushering disruption into the traditional practice of law by leveraging technology, including artificial intelligence, to more efficiently serve his clients.
Brendan regularly counsels corporate clients on mergers and acquisitions and public and private financings, including private equity and venture capital transactions. He also advises companies on a variety of everyday business issues, including advice on securities laws, corporate laws (including director and officer duties), executive compensation plans and general corporate contracts. He has worked with clients at every stage of development, from initial formation to Fortune 100 status. Brendan works with clients across a range of industries, including technology, manufacturing, specialty chemicals, transportation and logistics, creative services, and footwear and apparel.
Brendan's accounting background affords him an advantage in understanding his clients' business and financial objectives. He works directly with his clients to implement tailored solutions to their complex business problems. He provides strategic advice to multinational clients with respect to their global business issues, including market entry and international M&A and commercial transactions. Brendan also regularly represents some of the region's most active private equity firms in portfolio company acquisitions and operations.
Brendan served as the Portland office managing partner for eight years, and also served on the firm’s Management Committee for seven years. He is a current member of the firm’s IDEA Group, an internal committee that assists in advancing the firm’s strategic priority of embracing innovation to drive value, and serves as the Portland office recruiting partner.
- 2020 League of Minority Voters’ Diversity and Inclusion Award for K&L Gates Portland (played an instrumental role)
- Brendan McDonnell was named a Minority Corporate Counsel Association 2020 Rainmaker. The awards honor 11 exceptional diverse attorneys whose business acumen, passion and dedication to proactive client development has set them apart as leaders in the legal profession.
- Brendan McDonnell was named an inaugural recipient of the Portland Business Journal Rainmaker Award (2019).
- Brendan McDonnell was nominated for the inaugural 2018 Changing Lawyer Award at the International Legal Technology Association Annual Conference, recognizing and celebrating his unwavering commitment to client service and visionary approach to the disruption of the traditional legal practice.
- Brendan McDonnell has been listed since 2008 as a leading corporate/M&A lawyer in Chambers USA.
- Brendan McDonnell has been listed since 2012 in The Best Lawyers in America guide for Corporate Law.
- Former Board Member, Hollis Eden Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: HEPH) (Member of the Compensation, Audit and Nominating Committees)
- Former Board Member, Oregon Food Bank (Member of the Strategic Plan Committee, Nominating and Board Development Committee and the Fund Development Committee)
- Former Adjunct Professor of Law, Northwestern School of Law at Lewis & Clark College
- Past Chair of the Executive Committee, Oregon State Bar Business Section
- Certified Ambassador, Greater Portland Inc. (2018 - present)
- Co-Chair, 2019 and 2020 Certified Ambassador Programs
- Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals
- California Bar Association
- Washington Bar Association
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Chair, Oregon State Bar International Trade in Legal Services Task Force
- Presenter, “How Machine Learning Can Solve Global and Business Problems,” Financial Executives International “Finance Elevated” Conference (2020)
- Panelist, “Coming out of the Shark Tank Alive: Negotiating your First VC Term Sheet,” TechfestNW (2019)
- Presenter, “Different Shades of Green: Finding (the Right) Money for your Startup,” TechfestNW (2018)
- Q&A, “Head of Portland M&A Law Office Foresees Favorable Environment for Deals,” Portland Business Journal, April 2018