For more than thirty years Nicholas Hodge has concentrated his practice on hedge funds and other private investment vehicles. In that time he has advised many of the largest hedge fund and fund of funds groups in the country in regard to fund structure, advertising, private placement procedures, soft dollars, compliance policies and procedures, side letters, and a host of other issues. His experience extends to Opportunity Zone funds, real estate investment trusts and partnerships, timber funds, private equity funds, complex partnership reorganizations, and mergers and acquisitions. Nicholas represents numerous domestic and offshore hedge funds, ranging from startup funds to major fund complexes.
Nicholas has been a partner at several law firms in Boston.
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Hedge Funds Law nationally (2021-2023)
- Selected to Massachusetts Super Lawyers 2004, 2009 - 2018
- BTI Client Service All-Star 2010
- American Bar Association, chair of the Subcommittee on Partnerships, Trusts and Unincorporated Associations of the Committee on Federal Regulation of Securities 1992-1994
Angel Flight Northeast (Clerk and Pro Bono Legal Counsel)
From 1996 to 2011, Nicholas provided pro bono legal services to create and maintain Angel Flight Northeast, a non-profit organization that provides free air transportation by volunteer pilots in private aircraft for medical patients and their families. He was honored by Angel Flight Northeast at the 2006 Evening of Angels for his service to the company.
Nicholas has spoken in more than a dozen cities on hedge funds. Nicholas’s presentations include:
- Speaker, “How to Grow or Launch Your Fund or Asset Management Firm—in Challenging Times,” Webinar, June 23, 2020
- Moderator, “Discussion on Opportunity Zones,” Boston, April 4, 2019
- Speaker, “2018 Update: Regulation D Offerings and Private Placements,” Clear Law Institute, Webinar, September 27, 2018
- Speaker, “Latest Hedge Fund Developments and Practical Compliance Advice,”
- Chicago, September 9, 2014
New York, September 16, 2014
Boston, September 30, 2014
- Speaker, London Hedge Fund Summit, London, April 29, 2014
- Speaker, "Next Generation Funding--the New Crowdfunding Landscape," KPMG, New York, May 16, 2013
- “Hedge Funds: A Practical Global Handbook to the Law and Regulation,” Globe Law and Business Ltd, Second Edition, August 2019
- “India-Mauritius Protocol Seeks to Close Tax Loopholes,” The Investment Lawyer, 2016
- Investment Management Update, K&L Gates publication, Fall 2009
- Investment Management Update, K&L Gates publication, Summer 2007
In addition to the listed publications, Nicholas authored chapters on hedge fund regulation and marketing for the third edition of Evaluating and Implementing Hedge Fund Strategies, edited by Ronald A. Lake and published by Euromoney Books.