Yuki Sako advises global banking institutions, asset managers, and payment services on a number of Japanese financial services regulatory and compliance issues. She counsels clients on offering and structuring various investment products and services, and represents clients before Japanese regulatory agencies.
She also advises banks and bank-affiliated financial institutions on U.S. federal financial services regulations including issues under the U.S. federal banking laws, and represents clients before U.S. federal banking agencies.
- Court Secretary at Kyoto District Court (2004 - 2007)
- Dai-ni Tokyo Bar Association
- Board Member, Japan Commerce Association of Washington, DC, Inc. (June 2018 – January 2022)
- Trustee, JCAW Foundation, Inc. (May 2020 – Present)
- Co-Chair, AIMA Japan Regulatory & Tax Committee (January 2021 – Present)
- Board Member, Kyodai Collaborative (September 2020 – Present)
Yuki regularly speaks at industry association meetings and conferences. Recent representative engagements include:
- Panelist, “Japan Reg & Tax: What You Must Know & Do,“ AIMA Japan Annual Forum 2021, November 2021.
- Speaker, "AIMA APAC Webinar: Personal Data Protection in Japan - An Overview and Practical Considerations," The Alternative Investment Management Association Limited, 17 June 2021.
- Panelist, “The Essential Legal Toolbox: Preparing Today For Tomorrow’s Success,” AIMA Acorns of APAC – Emerging Manager Outreach 2021, April 2021.
- Panelist, “Latest Update on the Regulatory and Tax Landscape in Japan,” AIMA Japan Annual Forum 2020, September 2020.
- Panelist, “Update on Changes to Regulation of Foreign Direct Investments (FDI) in Japan,” AIMA APAC Webinar, March 2020.
- Panelist, “Big Data and AI - Is It Creating the Alpha?,” 14th AIMA Japan Annual Forum 2019, Tokyo, May 2019.
- Panelist, “Raising Fund Assets in a Global Regulatory Environment,” K&L Gates, Boston, New York, March 2019.
- "Japan As a Financial Center: How Its International Financial City Initiative Could Benefit PE Managers," Private Equity Law Report, co-authored, 17 May 2022.
- "Japan’s international financial city initiative involves unprecedented structural reforms to help foreign managers enter the Japanese market," AIMA Journal, Edition 129, 21 March 2022.
- “Japan Puts Forth Bold Legislation to Attract More Foreign Asset Managers to Upgrade Global Financial Center Status in Post-Covid-19 World” K&L Gates Publication, April 2021.
- "Volcker Rule 2.0 is here to stay: Congress refuses to exercise rights under CRA," AIMA Journal Edition 126, June 2021
- “Rapid Enactment of the Amendment Bill of the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act” NBL (Shoji Homu) No. 1160, December 2019.
- “Securities Practice Guide,” Lexis Nexis Contributing Author.
- “CFIUS Reform: Impacts on Japanese Businesses’ Investments in the U.S. - Legislative Background, Key Changes and Issues to Consider in Analyzing Risks” NBL (Shoji Homu) No. 1138, January 2019.
- “Japan and the EU Create a Free Flow of Data,” Infosecurity.com, January 2019.
- “The Impacts of the U.S. Investment Company Act of 1940 on Businesses of Japanese Operating Companies – in light of various capital-raising and borrowing activities in the U.S.” Jyunkan Shoji Homu No.2069, June 2015.
- “Proposed Amendments to Japan’s Fund Regulatory Framework Include Dramatic Changes for Non-Japanese Funds” Bloomberg BNA World Securities Law Report, Vol. 21, No.5, May 2015.
- “Japanese Law License Requirements for Fund Securities Issued Overseas” Jyunkan Shoji Homu No.1989, February 2013.