Charles Purcell works extensively in the alternative investments areas with a focus on federal and international tax issues. He has broad experience in the formation of domestic and foreign investment funds including private equity, venture, real estate and infrastructure funds and fund-of-funds; large joint venture transactions; mergers and acquisitions; financing and banking transactions; venture capital investments and start-up companies; and compensation of managers, executives and promoters. Charles represents numerous domestic and foreign institutional investors in connection with their alternative investment activities.
Charles also works significantly with developers and investors in alternative energy projects, including solar, biomass and wind energy facilities with a focus on federal and state tax issues. In this regard, he has worked extensively on project finance transactions for developers and investors (including tax equity investors) in the alternative energy area including wind solar and biomass projects. He has worked on over 50 projects in this area. He has also worked on leverage leasing and similar transactions for decades.
Charles is the principal author of the chapter, “Innovation in Tax Credit Structuring for Solar Energy Projects,” in the Energy and Environmental Project Finance Law and Taxation (2010) published by Oxford University Press.
Charles is the editor-in-chief of The Limited Liability Company Forms and Practice Manual, the first limited liability company (LLC) manual for Washington, Oregon and Alaska. He is experienced in the economic analysis of transactions as relevant in the legal context including the analysis of appraisals and appraisal methodology from a tax perspective and financial analysis of benefits of tax structures.
- Charles is recognized by peer group publications, including The Best Lawyers in America® (2001-2016, 2020-2023) and Chambers USA (2014, 2020-2022), as a leading lawyer in the areas of tax and private equity.
- Moderator, "Energy Technology Investment in Washington," 2011 Washington Future Energy Conference, October 2011.
- "STRATEGIC PERSPECTIVES: Case study in models for academic health systems structuring venture capital investments: Henry Ford Health System," Health Law Daily, 10 September 2021
- “Investing In India? Time To Rethink Structures,” Law360, 3 June 2016
- "The New Do-It-Yourselfers," The Deal, October 2006