Daniel is a commercial and regulatory lawyer with a focus on the financial services industry. He advises clients across the industry, including fund managers, banks, financial advisers, FinTechs, superannuation fund trustees, regulated lenders and other financial services firms. He also advises major retail brands on the distribution of financial products.
Assisting clients to navigate the Australian financial services and credit regulatory regimes Daniel helps them develop practical solutions to meet their licensing, disclosure and other compliance obligations.
An authority for fintech startups, incumbents and industry bodies, across a range of areas including open banking, blockchain solutions and payment systems, Daniel's clients appreciate his sound, pragmatic advice and assistance.
Daniel often advises local and international clients on a range of regulatory and compliance issues, including anti-money laundering (AML) laws, bribery and corruption issues and associated governance measures.
Fintech Australia chose Daniel to provide his knowledge and insights when they built a new tool for early-stage fintechs and global fintechs expanding into Australia, offering clear guidance on financial services licensing in Australia and which government bodies are responsible for managing them. Created in partnership with K&L Gates and Austrade, the regulatory map is a global first and aims to greatly ease overseas companies’ expansions into Australia and assist early-stage businesses in understanding the regulatory regime.
- Chambers FinTech, ranked individual in FinTech Legal - Australia (2021)
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Panel member, "Open Banking: What this means for fintech startups", Tank Stream Labs Lunch & Learn Series, July 2020
- "Superannuation Fund Investment in Private Equity", K&L Gates Virtual Roundtable, June 2020
- Panel member, "Regulation post Royal Commission", Financial Services Council Summit, August 2019
- Presentation on GIRO, ASIC Regtech Financial Advice Files: Demonstration and Symposium, August 2019
- "Importance of Regtech in the New Reality of Banking" (panel moderator) - Fintech Australia's Intersekt Festival, October 2018.
- "RegTech Update" - Governance Institute, July 2018.
- "The Rise and Fall of Faster Payments Infrastructure" - Money20/20 Asia Melbourne Roadshow, November 2017.
- "Smart Contracting: Impact on Lawyers and Commercial Transactions" - University of NSW CPD Seminar, July 2017.
- "Regulatory Update" – AIMA's Mid Year Regulatory Update & Ops Workshop, June 2017.
- "Fintech Masterclass: AFSL Workshop For Fintech Startups", event hosted by NextMoney, April 2017.
- "FinTech and Smart Contracts", K&L Gates Melbourne CPD Sessions, March 2017.
- "FinTech – Industry Responses to Technology and Disruption", October 2015.
- "Financial Services 2.0 – A Regulatory Perspective", October 2014.
- "Financial Services Update", Australian Corporate Lawyers Association, Melbourne, October 2013.
- “Crowdfunding for success,” Ragtrader, August 2017
- “Fashtech,” Ragtrader, March 2017
- “Investment Management Business in Australia,” The Investment Lawyer, Vol. 22, No. 8, 8 August 2015
- "Facilitation Payments – An Australian Perspective," FCPA Blog, 13 July 2012
- "Guidance Desperately Needed on Bribery Laws," The Australian, 2 March 2012
- "Governance without Borders," Keeping Good Companies – Journal of Chartered Secretaries Australia Ltd, Vol. 64, No. 1, February 2012
- "Scaled Advice under the Future of Financial Advice Reforms," Banking and Financial Services Alert, 2 December 2011
- "FinTech Australia releases regulatory map for incoming global fintech companies" Fintech Australia, Finextra, and Fintech Insiders, 30 September 2021
- "FinTech Australia launches regulatory map for global fintech companies looking to expand Down Under" Startup Daily, 30 September 2021
- "ASIC ‘excited’ by regtech solutions in responsible lending", FintechBusiness.com, 24 August 2020
- "How open banking will drive lender approaches to regtech", RFI Group, 20 August 2020
- "Judges reveal their hot tips for the 2020 Finnies Awards", RFI Group, 8 March 2020