Michelle Moran is a partner in the firm's London office, and is a practice group coordinator of the global asset management and investment funds practice group.
Michelle advises European and U.S. clients on the establishment, authorization, and management of retail and institutional investment funds in the UK, Ireland, Luxembourg, and Jersey. These include UCITS, hedge funds, private funds, investment trusts, real estate funds, segregated institutional portfolios, and exchange traded funds. She has worked on a wide variety of transactions involving investment managers, brokers, custodians, fund service providers, and operating platforms.
Michelle’s extensive regulatory experience includes having participated on the EU Commission working groups responsible for formulating proposals to change UCITS legislation as well as representing numerous financial institutions on sensitive issues involving EU regulators in both contentious and non-contentious matters.
She also served as a member of both the Expert Liaison Group and the Investment Bank Advisory Panel formed by HM Treasury to advise on desired policy and legislative change prompted by the financial crisis. These groups focused principally on the drafting of the Banking Act 2009, related secondary legislation, and client asset law and regulation. She was appointed an officer of the International Bar Association’s Investment Funds Committee in January 2015.
Michelle has been consistently recognized since 2005, initially as a Hot 100 lawyer and subsequently in Chambers and Legal 500. More recently clients have commented,
“Michelle Moran has an encyclopedic knowledge of funds law, and, as a former GC of a major funds house, a shrewd understanding of the challenges internal counsel face.”
“The practice is led by a very commercial lawyer, who has spent the larger part of her career as EU GC of a global asset manager. This helps the whole team to focus better on what an in-house counsel is looking for in terms of practical advice and, therefore, trusted advisers.”
“Michelle Moran is very pragmatic. She looks for solutions, rather than just stating the law.”
“Michelle Moran is an exceptional lawyer and has the benefit of several years as an in-house lawyer, which distinguishes her from many of her peers as she is able to fully understand her clients' goals as well as the internal pressures they face."
Legal 500 2019 - Financial services (non-contentious/regulatory)/ Investment Funds - Retail Funds.
Prior to joining the firm, Michelle was a partner at another global law firm.
- Panellist, “MiFID,” Institutional Investor Legal Forum Spring Roundtable Brussels (May 10, 2017)
- Chair, “Challenges and opportunities for UCIT market participants,” Euromoney The 6th UCITS Conferences 2016 (May 26, 2016)
- Chair, 5th UCITS Conference 2015, Euromoney Legal Forum (May 20-21, 2015)
- Panellist, “Counting the cost of the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive,” FT Live – Regulation in Asset Management (March 24, 2015)
- Chair, 7th Alternative Investment Fund Regulation conference, Euromoney Legal Forum (February 24-25, 2015)
- Moderator, “Remuneration,” The 4th Annual Malta Fund Conference AIFMD One Year After (September 18-19, 2014)
- “Getting the Deal Through: Fund Management 2018 – United Kingdom,” Law Business Research Ltd., August 2018