Frank Voon is a corporate partner of our Beijing and Hong Kong offices, and he is a practice area leader for our global corporate department, comprising approximately 450 lawyers globally. Frank focuses on complex cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, divestitures, restructurings, private equity, and corporate and commercial transactions. Frank’s clients include multinationals, fund managers, financial institutions, and state-owned enterprises.
Frank has significant experience representing global funds, multinationals, financial institutions and Chinese privately-owned and state-owned enterprises in the health care, pharmaceutical, medical device, infrastructure, logistics, mining and resources, manufacturing, professional services, power, real estate, and technology sectors.
Frank is a key contact for our Greater China M&A practice, both inbound and outbound, which is ranked by Legal 500 (Asia Pacific) and Chambers and Partners (Asia Pacific and Global), and a key contact for our very highly regarded global healthcare practice. He is also a key member of the firm’s China real estate and construction practice, which is ranked by Legal 500 (Asia Pacific).
Frank was recognized as a Best Lawyers® in the inaugural edition of The Best Lawyers® in China for Project Finance and Development Practice (International Firms) in 2019. Frank was cited to be an “excellent lawyer” giving “outstanding support” by IFLR 1000 in 2020. Transactions led by Frank have been recognized by directories, including two nominations for China M&A Deal of the Year 2015 and an Honorable Mention-Deal of the Year 2017.
Clients cited in Legal 500 in 2021 that, “Frank Voon and his team are knowledgeable, personable and responsive. I recommend the firm for its understanding of regulatory landscape, relationships in China and excellent understanding of the market.”
Prior to joining the firm, Frank worked at leading Australian, Singaporean, and U.K. Magic Circle firms in their Beijing, Shanghai, and Singapore offices for over 15 years.
- "How to Enforce Intellectual Property Rights in China," Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, 34 (3), March 2022
- “Distribution Q&A: Hong Kong”, Practical Law (2021)
- “China’s ‘New’ Foreign Investment Law,” K&L Gates Asia Corporate Alert (2020) and LexisNexis Practical Guidance—Company and Corporate (2020)
- “COVID-19: Certain Labor Law Considerations in China,” K&L Gates Asia Labor, Employment, and Workplace Safety Alert (2020) and JDSupra.com
- “China Amends Key Medical Device Regulations,” K&L Gates Food, Drugs, Medical Devices, and Cosmetics (FDA) Alert (2014)
- “MOFCOM Strengthens Merger Control Law Enforcement,” K&L Gates M&A Alert (2014)
- “Directors' and Officers' Liability in the PRC, Executive Risks–A Boardroom Guide,” Willis (2010)
- Mentioned, "DIC Corporation’s Acquisition of Guangdong Tong Tak New Materials," Global Legal Chronicle, 12 July 2022