International arbitration is a core practice group for the firm. We have been involved in some of the biggest and most noteworthy international arbitration disputes in the world.
Our international arbitration practice draws from our globally integrated platform, with offices across five continents. Our group has unique bench strength, featuring arbitration lawyers in New York, London, Paris, Singapore, Hong Kong, Boston, Dubai, Doha, Houston, Miami, Milan, and Pittsburgh, among other offices. Our global coverage means we can structure teams to ensure our cases are handled effectively and cost-efficiently by lawyers best suited to the dispute, considering the relevant governing law, seat of arbitration, applicable common law or civil law practices, language of the arbitration, and relevant industry.
We have built a strong reputation for our tough yet commercial approach to cases. Global Arbitration Review has consistently ranked our international arbitration practice in “GAR 100,” placing us among the powerhouses of international arbitration around the world.
Our international arbitration lawyers have appeared in arbitrations under the auspices of every major arbitration institution, including:
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Dubai International Financial Centre-London Court of International Arbitration (DIFC-LCIA)
- Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC)
- American Arbitration Association®/International Centre for Dispute Resolution (AAA/ICDR)
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC)
- German Arbitration Institute (DIS)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- China International Economic and Trade Association Commission (CIETAC)
- Santiago Arbitration and Mediation Center (CAM Santiago)
- Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC)
- Trade associations (such as the Refined Sugar Association (RSA) and Federation of Oils, Seeds & Fats Associations Ltd (FOSFA)
- Ad hoc arbitrations under the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) rules
As set out in more detail in the description of our investor-state arbitration practice, we have also dealt with numerous investment treaty cases under multilateral and bilateral investment treaties acting on behalf of investors and sovereign states.
We are regularly retained by some of the world’s leading companies on business-critical assignments in industries including energy, natural resources, mining, aerospace, insurance coverage, construction and engineering, infrastructure, manufacturing, securities, pharmaceuticals and life sciences, sports, telecoms, media, and technology.
Our lawyers adopt vigorous, creative, and cost-effective methods to achieve high rates of success and maximize client satisfaction. We seek to manage costs by regularly providing experience-driven cost projections with expected time scales and costs for each stage of the arbitration process, thereby assisting clients in budgeting and cash flow management.
Through our arbitration advisory and political risk mitigation services, we regularly advise on drafting suitably tailored arbitration agreements and dispute resolution strategies including, when relevant, advising on the structuring of transactions to gain maximum benefit from investment treaty protections.
Our lawyers also handle arbitration-related litigation, such as obtaining provisional relief or interim measures, security for costs, enforcing arbitration agreements, and dealing with arbitrator challenges and award enforcement, as well as mediation.
Many of our arbitration lawyers also serve as arbitrators. Our clients benefit from the resulting insights, know-how, and experience of arbitration rules and procedures, arbitration institutions and secretariats, case management, and other arbitrators and practitioners.
Our lawyers regularly publish on arbitration-related topics, including via our regular publication “Arbitration World,” and are respected as thought leaders in the arbitration community.
- Proud to Co-Chair NAWL’s Women in International Arbitration Affinity Group